On 22 December, ANVISA published in the Official Gazette Resolution RDC N° 588/ 2021, which authorizes the use of food additives and processing aids in several food categories.
Among the food categories impacted by this update are the following:
- Chewing gum: it changes notes for the use of steviol glycosides.
- Fruit and vegetable products: it approves 7 new food additives (several functional classes) with their corresponding maximum levels.
- Milk mixture with vegetable and/or animal oils or fat: it approves sodium ascorbate (INS 301) as an antioxidant in a quantum satis level.
- Sugar: it approves 2 news processing aids.
- Confectionery, sweets, chocolates, and similar sweets.
- Cereals and cereals products.
- Food and drinks for weight control, food and beverages for diets with controlled sugar intake, foods and beverages for diets with restricted sugars, and foods with partial sugar substitution: notes regarding the use of steviol glycosides (INS 960) have been changed.
In addition, it adds functional classes to calcium carbonate (INS 170i) and sodium bicarbonate (INS 500ii) in the list of food additives to be used according to GMP, besides those ones assigned in the harmonized regulation from MERCOSUR.
These changes are enforced since 3 January 2022.
Contact RegASK to know more about Brazil regulation changes.
Contact RegASK for more details Read more