A top yogurt brand recognized the need to differentiate their probiotic-rich product from the competition. The client tasked RegASK with determining how to become the first yogurt product with an on-pack health claim regarding improved digestion.
Functional food claims based on probiotics were not yet regulated in the market, and there were no active efforts to adapt the regulations, making the client’s desired health claim outside the scope of standard options.
After identifying the need for the development of a new probiotic-claim regulation, RegASK:
1. Partnered with scientific and regulatory experts locally to educate agency officials on scientific benefits demonstrated in the client’s research
2. Benchmarked probiotic regulations worldwide
3. Drafted recommended guidelines
4. Prepared and submitted scientific dossier and regulatory dossier
5. Collaborated with the regulatory officials to ensure implementation
The client was the first yogurt product with an on-pack health claim stating that ingestion would “help improve transit system” within a certain timeframe. ‘Barrier of entry’ granted RegASK’s client exclusive use of the claim; regulations require clinical trial on final product to leverage claim on-pack.