On May 31st, 2022, Taiwan FDA proposed a draft amendment to the labelling for health foods. Below is a summary of the amendments:
- Article 1: Addition of the legal basis for this provision.
- Article 2: Addition of the Paragraph “Health food should be labeled on the container or outer packaging with health functional ingredients and their contents; if no health functional ingredients are verified, their quality control index ingredients and their contents should be declared.”.
- Article 3: Addition of 2 Items
- Item 1 specifies that products should comply with Article 3, Item 1 of the Health Food Management Law
- Item 2 states the health effects disclosed should be studied academically, not confirmed by experiments.
- Article 4: Items 1 & 2 are adjusted and revised.
- Article 5: Addition of requirement to include recommended daily intake on labeling
- Article 6: Addition of warning labels due to the risk of interaction between foods containing fish oil raw materials on specific subjects and specific patients taking specific drugs
- Article 7: Addition of warning labels due to the risk of interaction between foods containing red yeast rice on specific subjects and specific patients taking specific drugs
- Article 8: Reviewed the wordings and phrasings of the Article.
- Article 9: Addition of buffering requirements for domestic and imported products
Public comments are open until July 31st, 2022.