This final rule amends the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) organic regulations to implement recommendations from the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB).
The rule prohibits fourteen nonorganic ingredients, which are currently allowed in the manufacture of organic processed products. The rule also prohibits two substances (vitamin B1 and procaine), which are currently allowed in organic crop and livestock production. Finally, the rule renews an allowance for two substances (oxytocin and sucrose octanoate esters) in organic production.
Synthetic substances removed:
- Vitamin B1 (crop production)
- Procaine (livestock production)
Nonorganic ingredients removed:
- Alginic acid;
- Colors (black currant juice color, blueberry juice color, carrot juice color, cherry juice color, grape juice color, paprika color, pumpkin juice color, turmeric extract color);
- Konjac flour;
- Sweet potato starch;
- Turkish bay leaves; and
- Whey protein concentrate.
- sucrose octanoate esters for organic crop and livestock production and
- oxytocin for organic livestock production.
Contact RegASK for more details Read more